About Me

I love to cook and more importantly, I like to improve the way I cook certain dishes. As such, this blog is borne out of a desire for a simple and organized way to manage the different variations of the dish that I tried. I will be posting recipes, pictures and comments on what works for me and what don’t. Hopefully, you will enjoy your time here, and do remember to give your feedback! Cooking is a constant evolution, a process and definitely not an end result!

Steamed Chinese Cabbage (Wongbok) with Minced Meat Rolls

by | |
Steamed Chinese Cabbage (Wongbok) with Minced Meat
Korea craze has been around for a few years - Korean dramas are so well liked in Asia, especially for the Chinese.

How many of you have watched the dramas, Da Chang Jing - The main actress has a wonderful cooking skills. I remembered there is one episode where there is a competition for dumpling and due to jealousy, her main ingredients, flour was stolen by her competitors. She has no choice, but to think of an alternative ingredient to replace flour and that is cabbage. This left a very deep impression as I really love the sweetness in cabbage that I really want to try this dish. But I can't seem to find it in Singapore or is it a myth that this dish exist?

Ever since I started this blog, I really want to try out this dish as I do feel that the combination of minced pork and cabbage will work out well.

I have done my homework by researching online for recipes, but almost all the results show a western style of cabbage stuffed with minced meat. Hence, I have done a research on how to increase the flavor of the sweetness in pork instead.

If you like Xiao Long Bao, I would think that you will like this, personally I feel it tastes 80% close to Xiao Long Bao = )

Ingredients
  1. 4 Pieces of Wongbok Leaves (Chinese Cabbage)
  2. 6 tablespoon of Minced Meat
  3. 1 1/2 tablespoon of Finely Chopped Dried Shrimps
  4. 1 tablespoon of Finely Chopped Red Onions
  5. 1 teaspoon of Grated Ginger (with the ginger juice will be perfect)
  6. Light Soya Sauce (eg. Brand Tai Hua)
  7. 1/2 teaspoon of Fine White Pepper
Preparation
  1. Marinate Minced Meat, Dried Shrimps, Red Onions, Ginger, Pepper and 2 tablespoon of Light Soya Sauce and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes
  2. Divide the marinated result into 4 portions
  3. Soften Wongbok by boiling it in hot water for approx 2 minutes. Once it is soft, you can take it out.
  4. Spread the Wongbok and add the marinated minced meat on it and roll/wrap it up. Cut of the remaining hard part of the Wongbok leaves.  
  5. Place it in a steam-proof container with 2cm of depth as there will be some gravy after steaming
  6. Spread 2 teaspoon of Light Soya Sauce on the cabbage rolls
Steps
  1. Steam it for approx 15 minutes
Serve while hot!

Tips and Comments:
  • I used Wongbok instead of the normal cabbage as the natural sweetness in Wongbok go very well with Minced Meat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment