About Me

I love to cook and more importantly, I like to improve the way I cook certain dishes. As such, this blog is borne out of a desire for a simple and organized way to manage the different variations of the dish that I tried. I will be posting recipes, pictures and comments on what works for me and what don’t. Hopefully, you will enjoy your time here, and do remember to give your feedback! Cooking is a constant evolution, a process and definitely not an end result!

Dried Oyster, Scallops and Chicken Porridge (Congee)

by | |
Dried Oysters, Scallops and Chicken Porridge (Congee)
Porridge or Congee is good to be to taken when one's appetite is low or when you are having a diet or you are down with illness. For me, having a bowl of hot porridge any day in the morning or during supper time is a blessing. 

To cook a good pot of porridge is not easy as you have to keep stiring to ensure that the rice is break down into porridge without burning it. So you will have to stay by the fire for at least 45 minutes until the rice is break down to the consistency that you prefer.

I have added chicken meat in this porridge to "neutralise" some of the fishiness of the dried oyster and scallops.

Ingredients (Serve 1 pax)
  1. 1/2 cups of uncooked rice (Washed)
  2. 4 Medium Dried Oyster, approx 4 to 5cm in length
  3. 4 Small Dried Scallops
  4. 8 Small Slices of Chicken Meat
  5. Salts 
  6. Fine White Pepper
  7. 1 tablespoon of chopped Spring Onion (Optional - I didn't use it as I don't like Spring Onion in the porridge)
Preparation
  1. Wash Dried Oysters and Scallops and Soak them in hot water for approx 30 minutes
Steps
  1. Add Rice, Dried Scallops and Oysters with 4 Cups of Water (include the water to immerse Scallops and Oyster) in pot to cook until rice become porridge (Remember lower down the heat and stir occasionally to avoid overcooking. add water if required to)
  2. Add Chicken and stir to mix well
  3. When Chicken is cooked, add Salts to taste, a pinch of Pepper and garnish it with some spring onions
Serve while Hot!

Tips and Comments:
  • You may add a few slices of Ginger to take away the "fishy" taste of Oyster and Scallops.

2 comments:

Congee Recipe

Great Recipe! I'll take note of this and prepare this to my friends. Very cheap but nice and healthy. Love the congee!

Post a Comment