About Me

I love to cook and more importantly, I like to improve the way I cook certain dishes. As such, this blog is borne out of a desire for a simple and organized way to manage the different variations of the dish that I tried. I will be posting recipes, pictures and comments on what works for me and what don’t. Hopefully, you will enjoy your time here, and do remember to give your feedback! Cooking is a constant evolution, a process and definitely not an end result!

Chinese New Year Reunion Steamboat Dinner

by | |

This year is the first time when I have my steamboat dinner at my new house with my boyfriend. Initially this is not planned as we do not want to buy a steamboat pot as it take up too much space in our tiny kitchen. But when we are shopping at Fairprice to stock up some grocery before Chinese New Year, we saw this mini steamboat pot that is deep enough, but yet, it does not take up much space. In addition, it comes with grilling pan too. Hence, we decided that we should have steamboat this year or as and when we feel like eating steamboat. =) 


We are seafood lovers, hence, our steamboat ingredients don't come with a large variety, but rather, food that we like to eat. Hence, you will see that majority of the ingredients comprises of seafood. We have Scallops, Prawns, Abalone, Baby Clams, Beef, Baby Kailan, Dried Chinese Mushroom, White Beancurd, Button Mushroom, Tomatoes, and the most importantly, the soup for the steamboat - Bai Cai Soup (Wongbok Soup) - some refer it as Chinese Cabbage.

I have mentioned before how much I love this soup in the previous post on Chinese Wongbok (China Cabbage, Bai Cai) Soup (a simplified version) and Chinese Wongbok, Fish Maw, Fishball and Button Mushroom (a tastier version with more ingredients) as this soup has been a "tradition" in my family to have it for our steamboat reunion dinner.

Steamboat can be very easy to prepare, but for some, it may be harder as some families prefer to have a lot of homemade ingredients. eg. dumpling etc. For mine, it inclined towards the easy preparation as all you need is the raw ingredients, slices the meat and place it nicely on the plate. =)

P.S. The ingredients from the photo is for 2 pax.

0 comments:

Post a Comment