About Me

I love to cook and more importantly, I like to improve the way I cook certain dishes. As such, this blog is borne out of a desire for a simple and organized way to manage the different variations of the dish that I tried. I will be posting recipes, pictures and comments on what works for me and what don’t. Hopefully, you will enjoy your time here, and do remember to give your feedback! Cooking is a constant evolution, a process and definitely not an end result!

Dried Mee Siam - 1st try

by | |
Dried Mee Siam
It is easy to find a plate of Mee Siam with gravy anywhere in Singapore, but to find a plate of Dried Mee Siam, you really have to search high and low for it.

It has been sometimes since I have eaten Dried Mee Siam and I really craved for it. hence, I googled on the recipe. I got this recipe from RasaMalaysia blog and decided to give it a try.

My 1st try doesn't really work well, though from the photo, it does look like a Dried Mee Siam but the taste is just not right. It does not taste bad, but it does not taste too close to Mee Siam. I guess I have to adjust some of the ingredients on my next try!

This recipe is taken from Rasa Malaysia.

Ingredients:
12 oz vermicelli (rice sticks)
12 oz bean sprouts - I didn't add any
12 shrimps (shelled and deveined)
4 oz chicken (cut into thin strips) - I didn't add any
3 pieces fried bean curd/firm tofu (cut into pieces)
3 stalks Chinese chives (chopped into 1-inch length) - I didn't add any
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt to taste
Soy sauce or fish sauce to taste
3 tablespoons oil

Spice Paste:
4 red chilies
5 shallots
5 garlic
2 tablespoons taucheo (fermented yellow bean sauce)

Garnish:
2 eggs (lightly beaten, seasoned with a pinch of salt)
2 stalks scallions (chopped into 1/2-inch length)
2 limes (cut into wedges)
1 red chili (thinly sliced)

Steps:
1. Soak the vermicelli in warm water for about 30 minutes or until they turn soft. Drain and set aside.
2. Using a food processor, grind the spice paste and set aside.
3. Heat up a wok with some oil and make the beaten eggs into an omelet. Fold and slice the omelet thinly. Set aside.
4. Heat up the wok and add 3 tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is heated. fry the spice paste until aromatic and the oil separates.
5. Add shrimps and chicken, stir-frying until half done, then add the fried tofu pieces.
6. Add the vermicelli and keep stirring until the the spice paste has spread evenly. Add sugar and salt to taste, follow by bean sprouts and chives. Continue to stir-fry until the vegetables are cooked. Taste and adjust the seasoning by adding more salt or sugar to taste.
7. If the noodles taste bland, add a little soy sauce / fish sauce to taste.
8. Transfer the Mee Siam onto a big serving bowl and garnish with the omelette strips, chopped scallions, chili and lime wedges. Serve immediately.

1 comments:

health-today

very nice article
thanks for the information!
i like it...

Post a Comment