About Me

I love to cook and more importantly, I like to improve the way I cook certain dishes. As such, this blog is borne out of a desire for a simple and organized way to manage the different variations of the dish that I tried. I will be posting recipes, pictures and comments on what works for me and what don’t. Hopefully, you will enjoy your time here, and do remember to give your feedback! Cooking is a constant evolution, a process and definitely not an end result!

Braised Lean Meat Kou Rou with Lettuce

by | |

I used to dislike Kou Rou Pau as the fats looks oily and I did not even give it a try until recent years.

2 years ago, when I am having my Chinese New Year Reunion Dinner in a Chinese Restaurant, I decided to give it a try. I removed the fats from Kou Rou, and to my surprise, the meat and lettuce with the bun (Pau) combination surprised me. It really taste GOOD! From then, I start to crave for Kou Rou Pau occasionally.

As my age catches up, my weight increases drastically, I realise that I have to go on a low carb diet. Hence, I decided that I should try and cook Kou Rou Pau using Lean Pork and lettuce. Low fats,  Low carbs! And it really tastes good and yet, it is very healthy.

It is important to note that do not slice the meat before cooking as the meat will turn tough easily. Only slice the meat after cooked.

Ingredients (2 pax)
  1. 100 to 120g Lean Pork
  2. 1 1/2 tablespoon of Oyster Sauce
  3. 1 1/2 tablespoon of Dark Soya Sauce
  4. 1 to 1 1/2 Cinnamon
  5. 2 Anise
  6. 1/2 teaspoon of 5 Spices Powder
  7. 4 Cloves of Garlic (Peeled and Lightly Smashed)
  8. 1 1/2 tablespoon of Dark Soya Sauce
  9. 1/2 teaspoon of 5 Spices Powder
  10. 3 tablespoon of Water
  11. 1 tablespoon of Cooking Oil
  12. Lettuce (Washed)
Preparations
  1. Marinate Lean Pork using Ingredients No. 2 to 7 overnight (Do not throw away the marinating ingredients, it will be use for the steps below)
Steps
  1. Add Oil in hot pan
  2. Add Garlic (from marinate) and stir-fry until fragrant
  3. Add Cinnamon and Anise (from marinate) and stir-fry for 1 minutes
  4. Add Lean Pork and pan-fry for 2 minutes
  5. Add Marinating sauce (from marinate) and stir-fry for 1 minutes
  6. Add Ingredient No 8 to 10 and simmer for approx 12 minutes
Check if meat is cooked, once remove it from pan. And slice meat thinly. Add sliced meat on lettuce and pour gravy on it.

 Wrap Meat in Lettuce. Serve while Hot!

0 comments:

Post a Comment