About Me

I love to cook and more importantly, I like to improve the way I cook certain dishes. As such, this blog is borne out of a desire for a simple and organized way to manage the different variations of the dish that I tried. I will be posting recipes, pictures and comments on what works for me and what don’t. Hopefully, you will enjoy your time here, and do remember to give your feedback! Cooking is a constant evolution, a process and definitely not an end result!

Braised Ee Fu Mian Noodle with Chinese Mushrooms (Hong Kong Yee Mian)

by | |
Braised Ee Fu Mian Noodle with Chinese Mushrooms (Hong Kong Yee Mian)
Ee Fu Mian is often the second last dish served on a Chinese Wedding Dinner. Other than having it in a Wedding Dinner, we hardly find it conveniently anywhere, except for Hong Kong Restaurant like Crystal Jade. Those Yee Mian that are selling in Zi Zhai Stall in Coffee Shop or Hawker Centre, normally use "round" and not "flat" noodle and it also comes with gravy too. Personally, I prefer those that are served in a Wedding Dinner and the one from Crystal Jade.

I came across a small food festival in Ngee Ann City and one of the food stall was selling Ee Fu Mian. They are also cooking it on the spot, giving "sample" for tasting. It taste great and I was delighted! I got some tips from the "Chef" on the cooking recipe. The recipe is very simple with a 3 Sauces, and I tried it, but the taste is just not right, it is too bland. 

This is the second time I tried it before the Ee Fu Mian expired. I added with Mushroom Soaked Water, and a few other sauces to make it more flavored. The result is good, hence here I am sharing this recipe to all who wish to give it a try. 

This is the Ee Fu Mian that I am using. I bought this at Ngee Ann City Food Festival. One stack is for one person serving.


Ingredients (Serve 2 pax)
  1. 140g of Ee Fu Mian/ Noodle/ Hong Kong Yee Mian (eg. Brand Dragon Boat)
  2. 1 Medium Yellow Onions (Chopped finely)
  3. 4 Medium Chinese Mushroom (Washed)
  4. 1/2 Carrot (Cut into thin slices)
  5. 2 tablespoon of Oyster Sauce
  6. 2 tablespoon of Light Soya Sauce
  7. 1/2 tablespoon of Dark Soya Sauce
  8. 1 teaspoon of Hua Diao Jiu/ Rice Cooking Wine
  9. 1/4 teaspoon of Sugar
  10. 2 Cup of Hot Water
  11. 1 tablespoon of Cooking Oil
Preparation
  1. Immerse Mushroom into 1 cup of Hot Water for 1 hour to soften the mushroom. After soften, do not throw away the water. Cut away the stalk and mushroom into slices.
Steps
  1. Add Oil into hot pan
  2. Add Onion into hot pan and stir-fry until fragrant (become transparent)
  3. Add Carrot and stir-fry for approx 2 minutes
  4. Add Mushroom and stir-fry for approx 1 minutes
  5. Add Hua Diao Jiu, Oyster Sauce, Dark and Light Soya Sauce, Mushroom Water (from Preparation), 1 Cup of Hot Water, and Sugar. Stir to mix well. Taste if it is too salty, if yes, add more hot water
  6. Once boiling, lower heat add Ee Fu Mian and stir to allow Ee Fu Mian cover in sauces. Cover the pan and braise until all water is absorbed into Ee Fu Mian.
Serve while Hot!

This dish can be served as a main course itself or you can add a bowl of Chinese Soup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment